- Turnips in general take 12-14 weeks to mature.
- It can be sow in a mixture with ryegrass and chicory/clover.
- Sowing time is from September to late January.
- Sowing rate: 2-4kg/ha
- This is an inexpensive source of roughage, which has been the saving grace of many farmers with livestock in dry years. It is especially good as roughage for sheep and can be grown with cereal crops like oats and stolling rye.
- It needs good autumn rains to get it established, to bulk up for winter feeding.
Sown in rows
500mm apart and
15-20mm in the row
Jan to march or irrigation
Eastern Free State
North West Province
|Mid Jan to mid Feb in cooler areas.
Mid Feb to mid March in hot areas
|Well-drained clay soils which retain moisture are best. Bring soil nutrient status to required levels as per analysis|